We want them. Who has them? As writers, we spend a lot of time on the internet, don’t we? We join forums, blog, tweet, and follow every link someone posts about articles written by ‘those in the know.’ We try to stay abreast of publishing, are wary of trends and following them, see what deals are (and are not) being made. We judge our work against others. We sometimes read a book and ask ourselves, “Why this book and not mine?”
We watch the e-book debates with furrowed brows. We read the agents’ posts about the unimaginable number of queries they get in a month, and sigh at the futility of it all. Who are we to think we’re special? That we are so much better than other writers out there? Are we kidding ourselves?
What do agents want? What do publishers want? What do they not want? What is too high a word count? Too low? What genres are selling? What aren’t? Who represents what, and who won’t touch YOUR genre with a ten foot pole? Why?
We have so many questions, don’t we? See? I asked two more. Sometimes it feels like our bitty brains are going to explode from all the questions rattling around like firecrackers in our heads. But take heart, my friends. I will tell you the biggest secret in the history of the universe (aside from the true role of cereal mascots). I know who knows the answers to all our questions.
Don’t believe me? That’s okay. Sit back and relax, grab something to drink, focus your thoughts into your biggest questions, and ask one of yourself. Instead of googling it, instead of scrolling through the thousands of blogs you’ve read, draw upon your memory for the answers. Not there? Try again. It might take time, but you already know the answers.
1. What do agents want? – Books they will fall in love with so they can sell them to the best of their ability. If you’re not in love with your own book, you know no one else will love it either. Would you recommend your book for others to read? Would you proudly proclaim ownership of your book with no apologies? If not, no agent will either. You know this. See? I’m not making this up.
2. Why this book and not mine? – Timing and patience. Your book was not done at the same time that one was. Your book was not submitted to that agent on that day when they had room on their list. Your book was not what that agent wanted. Your book was not ready. It needed more time. It needed more attention, more editing, more revising, more plot resolution. You know this. Publishing takes time and patience. There’s more answers to that question, and I promise you, you already know them.
3. Who are we to think we’re special? -- Rhetorical, you say? No, this is a valid question. And you already know the answer. Each book written is special. It takes us on a journey to new places where we meet new people, and maybe even discover new creatures or strange governments. Like snowflakes (or writer flakes if we’re truly honest), our books are special, as is our ability to tell our stories.
4. What do publishers want? – Books that will sell. It’s business, my friend. You know that. Simplicity at its finest.
5. Word counts, genres, prologues, POV, tense, omg, my head’s going to explode! – The answer to these are so easy it’s ridiculous. What is the right choice? Your way. As long as you’re good at what you do, as long as you’ve honed your craft and can tell a story, none of that matters. Don’t scoff. Don’t roll your eyes at me. It’s true. Go to a Best Sellers section at any bookstore. On those shelves you will see varying word counts, multiple genres, prologues (it’s TRUE!), all POV, varying tenses, and a multitude of ‘mistakes’ we worry about. Stop sweating it. All you need is number 2. No, not ‘number two,’ potty brain. Number 2, above: Time and patience. If you believe in yourself and your work, you WILL make it someday.
And you already knew that.
You're right. We need, not so much to be taught, as to be reminded of what we already know.
The only sure thing about querying is that if we quit we will never be published. If we keep on growing, keeping on experimenting, we might be accepted and from agent acceptance become published.
Again you have a great post, Roland
what i love most about this post is that through some psychic channels you KNEW our brains would go straight to the potty humor... that wasn't just me, right? :)
hi miss christi! i like this post a lot cause it gets us right back to just being who we are. mostly everything i been learning for being a good writer i got from my blogger friends just like you.
...hugs from lenny
You're right - we do know the answers. Sometimes we wish we didn't or that things were easy. But we keep trucking along.
We're so often faced with things that make us second guess ourselves that we tend to fail to accept what we know as truth. Great post!
It takes some pretty decent talent to write an advice post that also is an inspirational post. Very sound advice! And thank you. I'm sure I'm not the only person that needs reminding and encouraging....
Yeah Christi!! You go girl. Way to keep it positive. :D I love it!!
oklahoma city thunder jerseys, http://www.thunderjerseystore.com/
ray-ban sunglasses, http://www.raybansunglass.com.au/
nhl jerseys, http://www.nhljerseys.us.com/
ferragamo shoes, http://www.ferragamo.eu.com/
cheap football shirts, http://www.cheapfootballshirt.org.uk/
lacoste shirts, http://www.polo-lacoste-shirts.fr/
longchamp handbags outlet, http://www.longchamphandbag.us.com/
ralph lauren outlet, http://www.poloralphlauren.us.org/
bottega veneta outlet, http://www.bottegaveneta-outlet.net/
iphone cases, http://www.iphonecase.name/
coach outlet, http://www.coach-outlet-store.us.com/
hollister pas cher, http://www.abercrombie-fitch-hollister.fr/
beats by dre, http://www.beatsbydrdre-headphones.us.com/
tods outlet, http://www.todsoutlet.us.com/
ray ban,rayban,occhiali ray ban,ray-ban,ray ban occhiali,ray ban sunglasses
packers jerseys, http://www.greenbaypackersjersey.us/
cleveland cavaliers, http://www.cavaliersjerseys.net/
nike air max 2015, http://www.airmax2015.in.net/
oakley sunglasses wholesale, http://www.wholesaleoakleysunglasses.us.com/
I found your site very beautiful and distinguished too. Thank you for your good work and continue.
nike air force 1
cheap michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet store
michael kors handbags
michael kors handbags sale
michael kors handbags
coach outlet online
ed hardy uk
oakley vault outlet
coach outlet online
christian louboutin shoes
ray ban sunglasses outlet
nike shoes for women
nike uk store
coach outlet store online
Having an email is essential when you are internet, every social media website require email to validate your identity, for your smartphone account, to leave comment on any website... so that the existence of tutorial like hotmail login is necessary.
Post a Comment